Laboga The Beast Classic 30W head
Beast Classic is the third evolution from the Beast series, with the same features and size as The Beast 30+ but with the different tone shape, especially changed to get nice classic vintage sound. It has 30 Watt power capacity, which can be reduced to 15W with front panel switch. It utilizes four EL84 power tubes and the lower output power is achieved by smart reducing voltages instead just disconnecting two of four output tubes. The output transformer is wound in a special vintage unique style, using special core materials. Together with the different preamp arrangement it makes this amp sounding different than the other two models from the series.
The amplifier has three channels: clean, crunch and drive. The clean and crunch share the same knobs (gain and character), but the drive has separate gain knob and two point EQ controller (bass and treble) with “Mid. Switch” onboard. Master section allows volume control.
The clean channel, at the max. setting saturates a bit, but not as much as it does on the crunch channel, which quite reminds an overdriven old vintage amp. Drive channel though, is not a usual modern high gain but more of classic 80’s hard drive. It has less gain then in the previous model The Beast 30+.
The drive channel has a standard 2 point EQ: Bass and Treble. Middle knob is not present on the front panel, but the circuit work as it was one with fixed setting. The “Mid. Switch”, solution taken from Mr. Hector amp, has two positions and makes the Drive channel more versatile, because it changes the way EQ works (mostly in mid. frequencies).
- output power: 30W / 15W (switched) using 4 x EL84,
- all tube preamplifier using 2 x 12AX7,
- three channels – clean, crunch and drive (high gain),
- separate tone control for both channels,
- effects loop with level switch (+4dB/-10dB),
- headphones output with second generation speaker emulation,
- built-in Di-Box (with speaker emulation) balanced symetric line out,
- silent play/record (built-in fake speaker load),
- master volume, clean channel - volume, drive channel- gain and volume,
- relays channel switching,
- double footswitch socket (channels),
- speaker outputs: 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm,
- dimensions (width x depth x height): 450 x 225 x 200 mm,
- weight: 11 kg.
Files to download: